Beware of Mavis Discount Tire in Syosset, NY

WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!! I called first to make sure that they had a tire in stock that would work with my car. It all started out okay I get there and they gave me a time estimate. Sounds fine. Until they used the air gun to try and loosen my wheel lock instead of using a breaker bar to loosen it first. They snapped my wheel lock key and embedded the key in the grooves of the wheel lock. So now the mechanic tried to chisel out the lock and damaged my rim. I spent 3.5 hours there for nothing. Even then I said no problem to Craig Scott the manager on duty who told me he would replace my wheel locks and save me $10.00 for the tire. I declined and said that I would not come back to have work done there, and that I just wanted my wheel locks replace he agreed.

Here is where it gets interesting. I called the next day while at my local BMW dealership to have the problem that Mavis created rectified. I spoke to Sean the store manager of Mavis, I explained to him that I am reasonable and I have no interest in getting anyone in trouble, nor do I want and compensation for my damaged rim or the 3.5 hours spent there. I just asked him to replace my wheel locks since they broke the key. He proceeded to tell me that It was not the fault of his staff. He said and I quote "This was the first time you used our service and we made no mistakes, I spoke to the technician and the lugs were too tight and that I should go back to the people who tightened them in the first place and I should get reimbursed by them" , he also stated, "A lot times most guys are too lazy to tighten with a torque wrench and so they probably over tighten them". So Sean if that is the case why does your shop use a air gun to loosen a wheel lock when you should be loosening a wheel lock by hand first. Sounds like your speaking from experience when it comes to lazy! So I spoke to the BMW and the technician they told me that, that is not possible since this rim had never had a tire replaced, It still has the factory weights in it which means that there was never a tire replace on this side, so that would mean that BMW as a factory did not tighten them to specs.

Run don't walk from Mavis Discount Tire in Syosset, NY, not only will they waste your time, and damage your wheels and say it wasn't their fault, but they will try to up sell on a $6.99 valve gasket that they say has to be replaced every time a tire is replaced. Also Sean the manager will double talk you even if Craig the asst manager tells you something else. I feel bad for Craig that he has to work for a guy like that!!! Only go to Mavis Discount Tire in Syosset, NY if you have time and money to waste!!!!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

• Sean the store manager

Reason of review:
Damaged or defective
Preferred solution:
Let the company propose a solution
Monetary loss:
Product or service
Car Service
Review category
Service Centers and Repairs
review #556251 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Mavis Discount Tire? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 1 No 1
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

May 24 #1164023

You are better off using air gun, rather than breaker bar. The breaker bar is more likely to break the lock. Bmw and Mercedes are known for frozen lugs. Need to make sure they are cleaned with wire wheel and don't go long periods between rotations.

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Mavis Discount Tire. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Mavis Discount Tire.
Filing a new complaint about